It seems teenage skin has become a test ground for every cosmetic and skincare product out there. Bedrooms can be filled with baskets and bags filled with the stuff but, is this right? Read our tops tips for caring for teenage skin...
• You’re never too young to look after your skin and, if you have one of these beauties (pictured) in your midst, what better way to treat and/or de-stress them by taking them for a pamper at your local spa or salon? While there, hopefully they will learn lifelong skills for healthy, bright clear skin and realise that beauty isn’t all about fake eyelashes, enormous boobs and trout pouts. The professionals we work with are experts at knowing how to look after stressed out, spotty, greasy skin. They know that during exams, stress can cause havoc to often normal skin and they will reassure even the most hormonal teenager that breakouts can be perfectly normal.
• In a world of social media and mostly fabulous beauty bloggers, celebs, make up artists & the experimental, our youngsters just want to emulate. They’re keen to try everything out, not realising that their young skin can’t handle that much ‘crap’. Teenage spa pamper treatments are less about application, and more about ‘how to look after your skin’, and can also be a fab mum (or dad- go on be brave!) and daughter treat. Think chill with a mani or pedi, cleanse, tone or moisturise topped off by a spot of lunch. What a fab way to spend time together!
• Seek out suitable products for particular skin type e.g sensitive or oily NOT anti ageing. Mum, they might love your favourite creams, but it may just not be suitable. Invest in a little tube of something just for them. If they are going to use products on their face, then perhaps a good place to start is with a teenage gift set brimming with products that are gentle enough for our over 14yr olds.
• Have at least half the week make up, product & lotion & potion free. We’re taught to always remove our make up, but what we’re encouraging is adding more and more product to our skin. Our skin needs time to repair, and using a light natural oil is more than enough if they need to restore, even on oily skin. If they can’t live without make-up, be careful with the removal process. You can over cleanse by stripping the skin of its natural oils again.
• They’re probably gonna squeeze whether you like it or not so try a home steam once a week. Hot water into the sink and towel over the head, use clean hands & nails to remove blackheads and a towel to pat dry. It has the added benefit that it’s a completely free home spa treatment.
• It’s hard but try and steer clear of the cheap, pocket money stuff they can afford it is not great and often the ingredients in them can be really harmful for young skin. MI and MCI are a couple of the main culprits. Plus, if they are imported from China then they will probably have been tested on animals.
• Diet really plays an important part and yep, you’ve guessed it WATER –drink loads of it. Keeping fit is not directly linked to skin health but again it reduces stress hormones. Sport is great but rubbing the sweat off your face with dirty hands can spread bacteria, a good splash of water is all it takes to remove a substantial amount of dirt and a clean towel and If they hate sport introduce them to something that combines slower movement and mind agility like yoga. Yoga is not just for the mummy and the middle classes circuit and can be especially great for teens.
• Create your own home spa, just add music, candles, gentle face mask, nail care and painting. You can also create your own home pamper masks with the contents of your fridge e.g plain yogurt or banana can be a great face mask, it won’t have any real benefits but it’ gentle, natural and fun plus it’s a great way of bonding & having fun with a ‘non-communicating’ teen.
• If you’re feeling particularly flush then a teen pamper party (a good one is the The Real Beauty Spa Party) will win your plenty of brownie points. Massage and heat treatments may sound decadent but they can relax even young bodies and this can help with hormonal changes, exam stress and friendship worries so if you’re going all out then get in touch with your favourite spa and see what’s available. If you can’t find anywhere let us know we may be able to help.
RAW COCO-KNOT EXAM DE-STRESSER
Because coconuts are nature’s miracle worker – and we use it everywhere. Lose yourself in a tropical storm of fleshy fruit with this coconut wonder – perfect for easing out knots, tension and all of your exam related worries!
- Grounding foot ritual with coconut and lychee footand leg buff.
- Raw coconut scalp massage – tension, bye bye! Perfect for ensconcing hair in nourishing oils to swaddle and protect.
- Back, neck and shoulder massage with Raw coconut oil.